7/16/11

What to Read Where

Last summer I asked readers of this blog what to read on a trip to France and Italy and got some great suggestions. Evidently I'm not the only one who wants my reading matched to the destination. (I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that my husband doesn't mind reading a novel set in England when in Alaska, and vice versa.) Here are the Guardian's suggestions for travel reading. Only--what's this I see? People actually read memoirs, history books, and essays while traveling? Amazing. Right now I'm looking for riveting fiction set in Amsterdam, preferably historical.

4 comments:

crystal said...

There's "The Fall" by Camus. The latest Gabriel Allon novel by Daniel Silva, "The Rembrandt Affair", has some scenes in Amsterdam. And there's "In Pursuit of Life" by Erik Hazelhoff Roelfzema.

Jean Kazez said...

Wow, you're good at this. Thanks!

Aeolus said...

I haven't read these books myself, but you might consider them:

The Discovery of Heaven, by Harry Mulisch, a prominent Dutch writer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Discovery_of_Heaven

Max Havelaar, an influential novel about the Dutch East Indies, written in the 19th century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Havelaar

crystal said...

My sister mentioned today that you might like the mystery novels of Janwillem van de Wetering too :)