12/31/09

Cityophilia (and Happy New Year)


Looking back at the last decade, I have to say I've seen some incredible natural beauty--e.g. I've seen the beaches, volcanoes, and rainforests of Hawaii as well as the glaciers, mountains, and bays of Alaska. E. O. Wilson strikes a chord with me when he talks about biophilia--a yearning for the wildness of unadulterated nature.  I go in search of it whenever I can.
And so it comes as sort of a surprise.... When we were in New York last Thanksgiving I found myself looking out at the skyscape from the top of the Rockefeller center and guiltily realizing this was as thrilling a view as I could possibly imagine. I can't honestly say a view of the Napali Coast in Kauai or the highest peaks of Alaska is more stunning.  It turns out that art and engineering compete pretty well with Mother Nature.  I even love Times Square.  Which reminds me...
Happy New Year!

3 comments:

s. wallerstein said...

Cities are beautiful, but at dawn, before the traffic jams and the crowds. Happy New Year.

Jean Kazez said...

I confess that after a couple of hours in New York, I must head to Central Park. Must see green. But the view of tall buildings from within the park is nothing short of gorgeous.

s. wallerstein said...

Great cities, New York, San Francisco, London, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, are magical. I have no need to see green: what I need is to see fewer people and above all, fewers cars.