12/12/09

Carnival of the Animals


Way, way way ahead of time, I know...

The mid-February Philosopher's Carnival will be here, and it will be a Carnival of the Animals.  Please submit blog posts on topics such as:

  • Animal minds  -- So animals feel pain? Are they "trapped in the present"? Do they have a sense of self? Are animals capable of any sort of morality?  Etc.
  • Animals and theology -- Is animal pain an insoluble difficulty for theists? Etc.
  • Animals and ethics -- Lots and lots and lots of topics.
  • Animals and the environment --Does it matter if species go extinct? Do wild animals matter in a special way? Etc.
  • Vegetarians, Vegans, Ethical Omnivores -- Lots of topics.
  • Hunting -- Is it defensible?  Is a hunter's use of deception unethical?
  • Factory farming and humane farming-- Should humane reforms be supported? 
  • New frontiers -- Should we pursuit innovations like "lab meat"?  Should we genetically engineer pain-free livestock?
  • Ethics and activism -- Which strategies are ethically dubious?
  • Feminist approaches -- Does feminism shed light on issues about our treatment of animals?
The possibilities are endless. Send links to jkazez@smu.edu

5 comments:

Wayne said...

I think it would be remiss to leave out the hubub over Francione and yourself. So I vote for that, I'd also vote for the zombie cow.

Jean Kazez said...

I will probably include my "zombie" cow series. Hey, send me something yourself, and I'll include it.

Wayne said...

Something I wrote on my blog? Or something I wrote period?

Jean Kazez said...

Could be an old blog post or a new blog post. Philosophers' Carnivals are compilations of blog posts.

Wayne said...

Well if you want to include my post on animals and their carbon footprint, that would be pretty awesome, but don't feel obliged in any way. http://pilesofphilosophy.blogspot.com/2009/11/dogs-are-worse-than-suvs.html